Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Oops I (almost) did it again..

Really. I have no clue why I keep using song titles (and not even good songs!) for my titles?? The only music I hear is on American Idol, at church or on a kids DVD.

What did I (almost) do again? Let mom guilt smack me in the face. (I thought of lots of euphemisms here but went with the PG version). First of all, school is out for me. Notice I said school, not work! I actually feel like I have that coming out my ears. No teaching until August. What I do have is a new class to prep, 3 papers to revise and resubmit, 3 more in the works and 3 studies just getting started. (Please refer to overambitious perfectionist in my first post). I really don't like to bore people with what I do (why did she not spare ME these details you may be asking yourself...) but I feel like I have to defend myself because I am keeping the kids in daycare for the summer. Maybe I am mostly defending myself to me, but regardless, the guilt has been piling up.

A little more got heaped on this morning. Today was my sons field trip to a petting zoo with 40 other 4 year olds. Does that sound more fun than the last 6 hours I just spent revising a paper? Almost. I didn't go. I had a deadline. I dropped him off. He could care less. He had a bus trip and llama petting in his future. But all the other moms looked at me in my work clothes and realized I was obviously not headed to the zoo anytime soon. (Thinking a little more on it..maybe it wasn't judgement. Maybe they were wishing they could come to work with me?) But a little girl looks up at me and says. "Didn't you know? The mommies are supposed to come WITH the kids today?". Broke my heart. But also lit a fire under me to get my work done. I did 2 days work in 6 hours and as soon as I type this last word, I am off to hear all about the trip to the petting zoo and give that kid a massive hug. Of course it helps alleviate some of the guilt that we have a trip planned for Great Wolf Lodge this weekend (indoor water park!).

No moral to this story really. Mainly just the usual, we do what we can with what we got! And I GOT to get outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment